Aguments are an all too common part of life. They should be avoided if possible. But, if you can’t avoid them you may as well win.
- Never Accuse your opponent of being wrong.
- If you realize you made a mistake admit it immediately.
- Be pleasant.
- Get your opponent saying “yes” It is a proven technique.
- Let them talk. “Enough rope,” “digging a hole” all that.
- Be receptive. We’ve already established we could be wrong.
- Make it their idea.
- Play on their wants.
- Plea for righteousness. Every body wants “whats right.’
- Back it up. If you’ve got data, use it.
- Issue a challenge. Men especially will fall for this.
- Be a Cool Hand Luke. Aguments can get emotional. It is to your advantage to be the calm rational one.
There you have it, now play nice.